Fourth International Conference of CIS Countries “Sol-gel synthesis and study of inorganic compounds, hybrid functional materials, and disperse systems”, „Sol-gel 2016“, September 19-23, 2016, Yerevan, Armenia

Yerevan State University

Yerevan State University (YSU) (Armenian: Երևանի Պետական Համալսարան, ԵՊՀ) is a public university in YerevanArmenia. Founded on May 16, 1919, it is the largest university in the country with 110 departments. Of its 3,150 employees, 1,190 comprise the teaching staff, which includes 25 academicians, 130 professors, 700 docents (associate professors), and 360 assistant lecturers. The university has 400 researchers, 1,350 post-graduate students, and 8,500 undergraduates, including 300 students from abroad. Instruction is in Armenian, but instruction in Russian and English for foreign students is arranged according to need. The academic year is from September 1 through June 30. Yerevan State University was established in May, 1919 and was officially inaugurated on January 23, 1921. The university was called Yerevan Popular University and was situated on Astafyan (now Abovyan) street in the building of the former teaching seminary, which was built around 1900-1906. The construction of new buildings (architect E. Tigranyan) began in the fifties in the territory between Mravyan and Charents streets, they are still there. The first rector of the YSU was H.Manandyan (1921). Initially there were two faculties: of physical sciences and of social sciences. Later new ones were inaugurated – agriculturaloriental, and technical (1921). In 1923 the labor faculty was jointed. In 1930 PolytechnicMedicalCooperative and Pedagogical Institutes were established in Yerevan on the base of the faculties of YSU. Because of the latter process of separation of faculties into separate institutions (universities), the YSU is referred to as the "Mother University".